Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ups 'n Downs



An Odd Day at That……

Well it sure was. 

As I sit here at days end…I involuntarily started thinking of the past day and what one… 
would be hard pressed…not to possibly call…an odd day. What was odd you may ask? 
Well for one thing I spoke with a Real Estate girl who hopefully…will find the kind of 
Condo rental that I am looking for.

Yes it’s a small world. I say this because…just in passing I asked my friend and Immigration 
guy Tom…if he knew someone in Real Estate/Apartment finding etc.
Lo and behold… he did know someone…his sister J
I met her in his office and…after about a 15-minute meeting…she now knows what 
I desire in my forthcoming Condo.

After the meeting and…being that I was out anyway…I grabbed a “songteaw” and
headed a little north of Old Chiang Mai to look at a Cond-Hotel (yes you read that right)… 
with the dubious name of “Pacific Mansion” (and no I don’t know the reason for the name). 
Now I’ve done some homework and knew a bit of how the place looked.
I was also aware of the fact that…the Cond-Hotel was being updated. This was and is 
apparently…still true. 

After a short trip…I got to see the place and in a quick synopsis…not what I was looking for…
although the price was about right. Furthermore and according to the desk pu-ying (girl)…
the re-construction (uplifting) “should” be complete in 3 months. This translates from “Tinglish” [Thai/English] to “most likely” …6 months…with a lot of luck!

After a tiresome late morning/early afternoon run-around…I was ready for a bit of relaxation. 
Hey…retirement life is rough you know J.

So…after a quickie-stop off at Tesco-Lotus (another supermarket) I was back into a “songteaw” 
and shortly…back in my room.

Well…my in-room downtime didn’t last long as…‘ol mister stomach started complaining that 
he hadn’t been fed for a few hours…OMG J
OK…it was about that “food-refill-time” anyway but…I decided to take a short walk in a 
different than usual direction and…ended up about a kilometer away. This by the way…
is where the beginning of the “Night Market” takes place every evening. But…guess what….

Like the proverbial “Phoenix Rising” and…out of nowhere was….wait for it J

…Burger King...

Yes my friends…you are reading right.
And not only Burger King…but McDonalds…Pizza Hut and Starbucks…each on an 
opposing corner [see how great American influence is]. Now I ask you…
Can one really resist and/or ignore this. I think not. J

Now those of you who truly know me…know that I would never enter those
“land of lard” doors of a burger joint. This is true!
…That is of course with the exception of today ‘cause today…yes todayyy…J

Burger King was “King and Winner”…and OHHH…SOOO…VERY…GOOOOOD J J
OK…so I was a BAAAD BOY! 
Hey once every decade or so I’m allowed…right? J

So…that was my day and tomorrow…well…we’ll see and…to be sure I will keep 
you apprised of the…Good…Bad and Ugly (well maybe not the ugly J and maybe not even…
the bad J).

The Weather…

Every time I speak to or receive an e-mail from somebody…
I can bet that (in one form of another) the word “weather” pops into the conversation. 
I guess this is normal…do to the fact that…most people will probably (at least the 
ones I know…) never visit Thailand. So with that in mind (OK calm down now…)

Here is the average weather report for this time of year in Chiang Mai…
[9am - 70F and sunny…forecast 85F - with possible mix of sun and showers and 
moderate humidity…(normal)…nice] J

Apartments again (thank goodness for the Internet)…

Lionel…is a newly arrived (or should I say transplanted Expat) friend of mine 
whom I had mentioned in an earlier Blog…went apartment hunting. During one of 
our talking sessions he mentioned the “agency” he is working with re: his hunt.

So where…you may be wondering…might I be going with this?
Well...Lionel gave me the agency’s card and…yes…I had mentally planned 
on visiting them today.

Now when I plan on something…I usually end up “actually” doing what I planned but…
there sitting quietly on my desk was my ‘ol faithful laptop. At this point I thought…
being that I am not actually ready to move and…if worst came to worst I can always 
extend my stay in my resent digs…then where pray tell…am I rushing too? So…
down I sat and ended up at the online site…of the same agency…that
Lionel recommended.  I’m glad I did this…because I found at least 10 probable 
and viable apartments…in a fairly wide price range but…within my range…
got it? Good! J

And now it’s time for me to boogie and get some fresh air. 
And be amongst the denizens of Chiang Mai J

Coming to a screeching halt!

I had planned on ending this particular Blog entry with either…something mundane or 
uplifting. This however seems inappropriate...do to what is happening in Bangkok and 
many many surrounding areas.

The following is a link with many photos. Unfortunately all the comments are in Thai…
as this is a FB page of a Thai friend. You will however…get a very good idea without 
the comments. That said…about half way through and…as the photos age there are less 
and less flood pics. However if one wants a glimpse into Thai life…
the older pics within the link…will give a very good encapsulated look.

I would say enjoy the pics but…there is nothing uplifting or enjoyable about any of this.
In fact this "fiasco" is NOT over yet as more flooding is expected!

Here is the link…(you'll need to cut 'n paste)

BTW…if anyone feels compelled to say a prayer or even mentally send good thoughts 
to the affected peoples…feel free to do so as any and all is appreciated.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment